Policy Statement on Sustainability
The Whitehorse 2020 Arctic Winter Games Host Society was established for planning, organizing and delivering the Arctic Winter Games (AWG2020), in March 2020, Whitehorse, YT. The successful delivery of the AWG2020 will be the result of a collaborative partnership between a large number of stakeholders, volunteers, First Nations, sporting bodies, the supply chain, and the local community, to name a few.
The principle of sustainability is core to the delivery of the AWG2020. The accepted definition of sustainability comes from the widely recognized 1989 Brundtland Report – “Sustainable development is development that meets the needs of the present without compromising the ability of future generations to meet their own needs.” More broadly, sustainability is a way of thinking and acting (an approach) with a deliberate intention on striving for an acceptable balance between minimizing the environmental impacts, incorporate social good with lasting economic benefits and legacies.
Based on this principle, the Whitehorse 2020 Arctic Winter Games Host Society is committed to addressing these sustainability priorities in all its activities, to achieve positive economic, social and environmental outcomes for our community.
Vision of Sustainability
To show leadership in sustainability performance by embedding economic, social and environmental standards of international accepted best practice, in the delivery of the AWG2020, leaving a positive community legacy. This legacy will also be in the form of transfer of knowledge for the Arctic Winter Games International Committee as well as future Yukon hosted AWG.
- To use the International Standard Organisation (ISO) 2021: Event Sustainability Management System as a guide towards a more sustainable Arctic Winter Games.
- To use the Global Reporting Initiative (GRI) 2018: Event Organiser Sector Supplement (EOSS) as a guide for reporting on sustainability performance.
- To communicate our leadership achievements and challenges in sustainable event management.
- Inclusivity – To ensure that all interested parties can participate without fear of discrimination.
- Integrity – To conduct the AWG2020 ethically, consistent with international standards of behaviour.
- Stewardship – To take responsibility for the economic, environmental and social outcomes to be shared by all.
- Transparency – To communicate willingly and openly about the decisions and activities that affect the social, environmental and economic outcomes of our actions.
- Leadership – To demonstrate leadership by delivering AWG2020 to international standards, constantly improving our ways of working and meeting all legal and other requirements.
For more information on sustainability, contact: